Most people think that the success enjoyed by the most famous makeup artists is due to their flair, talent and creativity. However, if you observe closely, it becomes clear that their appeal can be attributed to a synergic combination of elements.
Successful makeup artists have discovered the right way to communicate the value of their ability and professionalism and they do it really well, focusing on their charisma and marginal elements that many makeup artists often (incorrectly) consider less important.
Artistic ability is only part of the overall impression that customers take from the work of a makeup artist: in short, this means that you may need to use (and should use) other levers to ensure your professional and skilfully executed makeup and styling services are fully appreciated.
So let us take a look at the components that will give you a step up in terms of how customers perceive you.
Create your own style
Firstly, take care of your image: from the first time you meet, your style and appearance will have an impact on the trust customers place in you in terms of the end result of your work.
To achieve this goal, as well as thinking about your look, which should be simple, clean and appropriate for the job, add value to your image by choosing a smart and engaging logo to display on work tools such as makeup trolleys, cases or tables. If your name is clearly visible, it will stick in your customer’s head for the next occasion.
Work with professional materials
Another excellent piece of advice is to choose a unique and coordinated style for your equipment: this will help give you a smart, solid image that will leave a positive impression on people you work with.
When choosing your equipment, think carefully about function and appearance: these components will affect your ability to obtain high-level results in any situation. Flexibility in terms of organisation and the ability to achieve impeccable results irrespective of working conditions and lighting are also essential elements for success.
Pay attention to the health of your customers
Finally, remember that a very important element that can help to increase the quality and value of your work in the eyes of a customer is the care and attention paid to their health and wellbeing.
The use of high quality, certified products, the hygiene and cleanliness of your tools and a comfortable, safe makeup station send customers a clear message about how important they are to you.
Work in a tidy manner
Do not forget that working in a comfortable and tidy manner with a functional makeup station makes your work easier and more efficient.
Exploiting and highlighting these elements offers numerous benefits and advantages.
- An image with greater professional impact: every photograph taken whilst you are working that is subsequently shared by the customer will provide excellent publicity.
- Ability to obtain excellent results in any situation.
- Ability to use your time more efficiently.
- Greater care of your health, preventing health issues commonly affecting workers in the industry, such as back pain and eye fatigue.
- Ability to add value to your services, preventing risks to the health of your customers.
- Each of these elements, which are marginal to the creative makeup services provided, help to increase the actual and perceived value of your services, creating an added value for which customers will be willing to pay a higher price.
- At this point, it is likely that they will no longer be prepared to accept a lower level of service and you will have acquired a loyal customer, who will no longer be able to do without your ability and professionalism.
- We have conducted interviews with numerous professional makeup artists who have wisely given due consideration to these elements. The data gathered provides clear evidence that they have recorded an increase in average earnings per assignment and the average number of assignments per month.
We have conducted interviews with numerous professional makeup artists who have wisely given due consideration to these elements. The data gathered provides clear evidence that they have recorded an increase in average earnings per assignment and the average number of assignments per month.
Do not forget the rule that applies to every entrepreneurial business: believe in yourself, keep investing in your business by improving your skills, keeping up with the latest developments and always work with the best materials.
Cover photo Credits:
Marcela Bantea MUA with Cantoni makeup station